Out of hours treatment for patients with palliative care needs.
Devon Doctors recognises that patients with palliative care needs and their carers can be reluctant to seek help out of hours. This aims to reassure you that Devon doctors are available throughout the entire out of hours period. There will always be a doctor available for you to speak to and if you think they may be able to help, please call.
Who to call
Devon Doctors is the out of hours GP service for Devon. They offer family doctor urgent medical and nursing care when your usual GP surgery is closed.
Contact Devon Doctors out of hours by calling: 08456710270.
Your GP or nurse has informed Devon Doctors about your medical condition. However, we do still require some very brief personal information about you when you call. Please be prepared to tell your operator:
- Patients’ name
- Patients’ date of birth
- Patients’ telephone number and address
- Patients’ GP and practice name
- An idea of the patients’ current symptoms.
They understand that you will need a rapid response and your call will be treated as urgent. A doctor will call you back as soon as possible (they aim to return your call within 20 minutes where possible).
When should I call?
Please do not hesitate to call us if you experience:
- Increased pain that does not settle within two doses of breakthrough medication.
- Nausea, vomiting or other symptoms that do not settle with your usual medication.
- Distress (either you or your carer)
- A sudden deterioration in your condition
- You should also call us if you have been advised to contact a doctor by a Hospice or Macmillan nurse.
What they can do
The doctor will return your call and assess the problem over the telephone. Following this, you may receive:
- Advice over the phone
- A home visit
- A prescription of medicine or dose adjustment to help control your symptoms.
Your GP will be informed about your contact with Devon Doctors on the next working day.